Saturday, October 01, 2005

Those wacky Finns

Be on the lookout for mass demonstrations in Helsinki on Tuesday. It appears that someone has their undies in a wad over proposed copyright legislation. Sounds like a riveting march.

Kidding aside, this is an important issue and one that is difficult to package in a way that makes sense to the average dude or dudette.

I go back and forth on this issue. One part of me agrees with Jimmy Thudpucker and his "return to minstrel roots". Then I give myself a good mental slapping and remember that this is the age of mass audiences. How would I feel if U2 were still a local band in Dublin, undiscovered by the masses except for those lucky enough to know a guy who's cousin's best friend was a sound tech at the pub around the corner from Paul Hewson's apartment. For that matter, if musicians had to distribute their own work, how many would stick with it for the long haul? Doesn't the dream of "making it big" motivate many artists (musicians and others) to stay the course through the lean years?

That's a long way of saying that the music "business" serves a purpose. But even with that, I had better be able to do what I want with the music (or other IP) that I've bought.

No comments: