Friday, October 28, 2005

Friday again? It must be time to talk football

We've got all kinds of excitement in the college world this week, and a few things to look forward to on Sunday as well. Let's get right to it, shall we?

Colleges

Texas @ OK State - For a change, I don't fear the letdown (which scares me, if that makes sense). Texas might have been prime for a lapse, except they are ranked #1 in the BCS this week. I think they'll be looking to show they're legit. The 'Horns are giving 37, which I think they cover easily.

Georgia @ Florida - The Redneck Game of the Week is also the College Football Game of the Week. At least they're honest - it's known as the the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party", although it's being played in Jacksonville. Don't look for any martinis or cosmopolitans in the stands (or parking lot) at this one - last time I checked, moonshine and tobacco juice counted as a mixed drink in Jacksonville. As for the game itself, Georgia is getting 4. Their QB is out and the backup struggled with Arkansas. I think the Gators roll here.

Oklahoma @ Nebraska - This one sure ain't what it once was. Switzer and Osborne, Rozier and Sims, Fryar and Watts, they'll all be in the stands asking the same question as the rest of us, "Who are these guys?" Oklahoma gets one point, but if Adrian Peterson isn't up to snuff, I like Nebraska.

Washington State @ USC - I think the Trojans are pissed about being bumped out of #1 in the BCS. I wouldn't want to be a Cougar this weekend.

North Texas @ LSU - The Mean Green is (are?) getting 44 points. Things are grim in Denton this year.

Boston University vs. the spirit of Kenny "Sauce" Bleskoski - I don't know for a fact that Sauce-man is dead, but I'd put a fair wager on it. Be on the lookout for a 6'2" guy with a 4 ft back.

Pros

Redskins @ Giants - Stormin' Norman Hitzges likes the Skins in this one. I respectfully disagree. I don't think the Redskins are nearly as good as their record would indicate. We'll see, but I like the Giants here.

Arizona @ Cowboys - Did you know that the Cardinals have had a whopping one winning season since moving to the desert? And that they've won one playoff game since WWII (of course, that one win was against the Cowboys)? The Cowboys are giving 9, and I think they cover easily. Caveat - If Parcells punches more than one assistant coach or player during the game, all bets are off.

Buffalo @ Pats - The Pats get the wheels back on starting this week.

Tampa Bay @ SF - The 49ers are SOOO bad. But, hang on, Chris Simms is starting at QB for the Bucs. If anyone is going to make Simms look like an All-Pro, it's probably SF. However, even the once-proud 49ers may not be bad enough for that daunting task.

Philadelphia @ Denver - Tough to call. We'll have to see what kind of shape McNabb is in. TO should have his hands full w/ Champ Bailey.

And a new feature this week - the Comedic Value Game of the Week. To inaugurate this now-weekly feature, we bring you two (count 'em two) candidates:

Cleveland @ Houston - Oh dear. I hear they're going to make the inmates at Guantanamo watch this in an effort to loosen tongues.

Miami @ New Orleans (sort of) - Haven't the people of LA suffered enough?

BTW - Jim mentioned hockey last week. I can't seem to find my interest in "My NHL" yet. Let's get thru football season, then we'll see.

Go (your team here)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since I was "dead on" with my Cowboy pick last week, I'll stick with the same general theory, ie, until they prove differently, they are losers. Hence the Cardinals by 3 over the Cowboys.