Monday, October 31, 2005

Monday morning sports recap

A weekend like this past one makes me consider taking up gambling again. If you refer back to Friday's predictions, I was darn near 100%. Too scary. I need a bad week of prognosticating to return me to reality.

Regardless, it was a good sports weekend. A few observations:

1. Drew Bledsoe

I keep hearing that this guy can't keep it up. Haters from Buffalo and NE tell me that he has a history of starting fast and falling apart as the season progresses. We'll see. We may look back at the end of the year and see exactly that - a hot first half and a big cool down in the last 8 games. But, I don't see any signs of it yet. He had a bad game in Seattle, but bounced right back yesterday. I know it was Arizona, but a good game is a good game.

2. The tensest sidleline in the NFL

Parcells didn't punch anyone this week (at least, no one I saw), but he was screaming like a banshee. He got in Bledsoe's face at one point, but Bledsoe gave it right back to him. Man, talk about a difficult work environment. Imagine that in your workplace.

3. What is wrong with the Eagles?

What has happened to the NFC champs? Their defense is getting torched by Jake Plummer? I hate TO, but the guy's talent is impossible to deny.

4. Insane officials

What the hell was Mike Vrabel doing to get called for the craziest penalty ever? Joe, help me out on this one. I didn't see the game, but they were playing that call back on the radio this morning. If I got it right, Vrabel was called for an "unnatural act, not common to the game, in an effort to draw the offense offsides". Did he trot out a goat or some other barnyard animal? Perform a ritual sacrifice? I have never heard of anything like this before.

5. BCS

Does Texas lose #1 because they struggled in the first half against silly little Okie State? Or does Texas Tech's wipeout of Baylor improve the 'Horns strength-of-schedule to the point where they hold on? This crap is way too complicated for me. It's college football, for God's sake, not nuclear physics.

UPDATE: Well, there's one question answered. USC is back in the #1 spot. They deserve it - they're the national champs until someone knocks them off. Thankfully, Texas is still ahead of VA Tech, but the gap is narrowing. Orangebloods greatest fears are still hovering out there. Time to start rooting for everyone in the Big 12 to start winning games (except the games against Texas, of course).

6. Monday Night Bleagh!

The Steelers should mop the floor with Baltimore. I think the Raven's overall strategy is to bore the other team to death with their offense. At least I'll get to spend quality time w/ the kids on Halloween.

Happy trick-or-treating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To point #4, my friend-

I watched this game with some displaced Bostonians, and we're still trying to figure out that call. An "unnatural act?" What did he do...try to blow a goat or something? It sure seems like the Patriots have incurred the wrath of the officials this year. NOW they're one of the most penalized teams in football? C'mon, I can understand if they're sick of seeing Belichick's dour sideline demeanor in his trademark hooded sweatshirt...but what gives out there?

Prediction- Patriots win the division with a 10-6 record, and become the team no one wants to play. That said, if Brady goes down, all bets are off.

I'm still pulling for Drew- he's a good man that deserves a few more shots at a title. Go Cowboys. Peace.

Peace.

Joe