Friday, October 14, 2005

Football Friday

Another week of your life gone and time to talk football weekend.

College games of note this week:

Colorado @ Texas - Coming off the gi-normous win over OU, can Vince and the boys get up for the pesky Buffaloes? One thing positive to say about Mack Brown: History shows that he's able to refocus his team from week to week. The post-game scene in the Cotton Bowl last week seemed to indicate that the 'Horns realize they have a ways to go before the National Championship. Texas is giving 17, which should be a pretty good bet. I look for Texas big (can't believe I'm saying that).

USC @ Notre Dame - USC seems to be able to spot teams two or three touchdowns with no problem. Can they pull the same trick in South Bend against what looks like a pretty good Irish team? Notre Dame is getting 12, and I think USC is getting primed to take a fall. Notre Dame in a shocker? Lot's of folks are predicting it. I'm not ready to go that far.

Penn State @ Michigan - Would somebody please put a bullet in the Joe Paterno feel-good story? I'll be pulling for Michigan to do more than cover - they should win.

Alabama @ Mississippi - The redneck game of the week. I like Coors over Budweiser by two six packs and a mortal lock to go way over the 2 packs of Winstons over-under.

OK State @ A&M - If the Aggies don't win this one, Coach Fran is going to find himself the most unpopular man in Central Texas since David Koresh.

North Texas @ Florida International - I hear this game is being played in a parking lot with some disgruntled Cuban refugees performing at halftime. Don't know if it's true.

Boston University vs. the ghost of Jim English - For the 100th week in a row, we'll be mourning the demise of the Fightin' Terriers football program.

And in the pros:

Giants @ Cowboys - The Cowboys obviously showed something last week. Can they do it two weeks in a row. Recent history suggests not. I fear a long day at the Partially Domed Rathole on 114. Of course, I said that last week...

Pats @ Denver - The Patriots return to their expected glory. A stomping of the highest order (get it - the game's in Denver, which is really high - ha ha).

Jets @ Buffalo - I've included this to pacify my buddy Ace. I hear that both teams will be taking pre-game auditions for QB. Sorry, Matt. That's all the interest I can summon for this game.

Washington @ KC - Arrowhead is a graveyard for over-rated teams. The Skins wake up Monday morning to find themselves in an unmarked grave next to Steve Pelleur.

Atlanta @ New Orleans (sort of) - Easily the biggest event to hit the Alamodome since the Monster Truck Summernationals. Sunday sunday sunday...

Houston @ Seattle - Ratings for "Desperate Housewives" should be way up this week.

Go (your team here)!

1 comment:

PHE said...

Deke, I guess coach Fran gets to live on, tar-free for another week.

K State may do him in, I'm sorry to say.