Saturday, November 19, 2005

Football preview - "Better-late-than-never" edition

Sorry gang. I was so excited about the opening of the new Harry Potter movie that I never got around to the weekly staple. Let's not waste any more time.

Colleges

Fresno St @ USC - A ranked opponent for the Trojans this late in the year. They've also got UCLA down the road. One might think this is a gutsy move on Pete Carroll's part. It may be, but it's also smart. His team should have little trouble with either opponent, and these games will keep the Trojans sharp. As long as there are no major injuries, this is a great strategy.

Alabama @ Auburn - The biggest thing in Alabama since the Emancipation Proclamation, this is always fun to watch. I think the rivalry has lost something since it left Birmingham and went home-and-home (are you listening, Dallas City Council - don't make the same mistake with Texas-OU). Alabama is a 7 point dog, which is rather surprising when you consider that they were undefeated and ranked #3 one week ago. Alabama can play defense, but can they play offense? I've been an Auburn fan since the Pat Dye-Bo Jackson days, so I'm going that way.

VA Tech @ Virginia - The last time the Hokies took the field, they showed their a** to the nation against Miami. Does Marcus Vick bounce back from the worst performance of his career, or does he spiral downhill? I think Beamer gets his team back together and they win out.

Penn St @ Michigan St - I hear that this used to be an important game. When was that? Two Midwest land-grant schools going at it. I like both teams' uniforms, so I guess there's that. I'm just ready for someone to tap Joe Paterno on the shoulder and say to him, "Dude, you're like a hundred years old. Do some ads for denture adhesive and give up the football."

Oklahoma @ Texas Tech - This is the Game of the Week for me. Oklahoma is getting seven and a half, but I'm thinking they win outright. I think Stoops has the wheels back on. Look out for the Sooners again next year. And look out, Red Raiders. The fury of Sooner Nation descends on Lubbock today.

Oklahoma St @ Baylor - This is worth mentioning just because Baylor is a two and a half point favorite against a Big 12 team. Anyone care to guess when that happened last? I don't know either. Maybe never. I like whats going on in Waco (never thought I'd say that). Go Baptists!

Boston University vs. the ghost of Paul Lewis - After his big flameout with the Patriots in 1987, I wonder what happened to the all-time leading Terrier rusher? Any news?

Pros

Colts @ Bengals - Here's your NFL Game of the Week. This is a good sign of how nutty the NFL is these days. Peyton showed a little something against the Pats. The Colts defense is pretty darn good. I'm pulling for Palmer, Johnson, and Co, despite their horrible uniforms (who's responsible for that, btw - they look like a junior college team), but I think the Colts go to 10-0.

Eagles @ Giants - How will the Eagles react to the last-minute loss to the Cowboys? We may look back on that game as a turning point for both teams. The Eagles have got to show something this week, or I think it's over for them. The deck is stacked against them with McNabb finally on the bench. Steve Sanderlin took offense at my description of Eagles fans as "the worst in the NFL" last week. Sorry Steve. It's going to be tough to get used to, but I think you'll have some time to practice. Giants by a bunch.

Oakland @ Washington - The two most schizophrenic teams in the league, this one is impossible for me to call. I think my father-in-law, the rabid Raiders fan (is there any other kind) has a rare happy weekend. But who the heck knows?

New Orleans @ New England - That's a long way to go to get your a** handed to you.

Vikings @ Packers - THIS is your MNF match-up? I bet ABC is wishing they had the freedom to mix up the schedule a bit. Talk about a tough ad sell. It will be nice to get to bed early on Monday night for a change.

Lions @ Cowboys - The only "easy" game left on the Cowboys schedule. The Pear-Shaped One has gone out of his way to prevent the team from taking Detroit lightly. The Cowboys should handle the not-quite-there Lions with no problem.

Comedic Value Game of the Week - Again, a bunch to choose from. I think I'll go with Phoenix @ St. Louis. For me, it's still the St. Louis Cardinals vs. the Los Angeles Rams, but that's just me showing my age. Who do you think the broadcast team will be? I'd like to see Skip Bayless and Mushmouth from "Fat Albert" in the booth, but they might be too high profile for this one.

Go (your team here)!

No comments: