Thursday, November 03, 2005

Buying electronics - big-box vs online

This probably isn't a surprise to anyone: Consumer Reports tells us that you're going to get a better deal buying electronics online than you will in a big-box retailer.

I don't think there's any doubt about that, if price is the sole deciding factor. Depending on the equipment you're buying, that may or may not be true. I have a few personal case-studies to illustrate the point.

Recently, I've bought a digital camera, a digital audio player (DAP), and a TV/home theater. The first two were purchased on Amazon, the TV/home theater was bought at Fry's Electronics (sorta like a super Best Buy).

For the camera and the DAP, these are relatively straightforward devices. Very little set-up, a small learning curve when it comes to usage, not very complex. In this case, price was my only differentiator between retailers.

In the case of the TV/home theater, a much more complex set of products, I made the decision to pay a bit more to deal with some humans in the purchase, delivery, and set up processes. I wish now that I had spent a bit more an gone to a smaller, more specialized retailer like Tweeter or Hillcrest High Fidelity. The reason: While Fry's did send a crew out to set up the equipment, they did an incomplete job. Since then, I've had Fry's out here twice more and I still have problems.

I'm in the market for a major home theater setup for my media room. This will represent a much larger investment than the starter set I bought for the family room. For this one, there's no way I will buy anything online OR from a big-box retailer. I'm going to make damn sure that the store I do buy from is there to support me past the initial installation. I'm willing to pay a premium for that kind of service.

1 comment:

Cap It said...

I've never shopped at Frye's, but almost everyone I've talked to has had a negative comment about them.

One buddy bought, what was advertised and what he was told, a brand spanking new computer. When he got it home and fired it up, there were someone else's personal files on it. He took it back and they did refund him.

Anyway, I agree about paying a premium for the home theater. Let us know who you go with and how the customer service is.