Sunday, November 20, 2005

When it comes to a home, is bigger better?

An article in today's Washington Post got me thinking a bit, as it addresses a subject close to my heart: The trend towards larger homes.

We recently (July 2005) moved from the 2,000 sq ft, 3 BR 2.5 bath house that we'd lived in for 12+ years and into a 4,100 sq ft, 5BR 4B McMansion.

In comparison to the 6,000-9,000 sq ft monsters described in the WP article, ours is not so big. However, it is bigger than anything I ever figured on owning and is the biggest I've ever lived in.

Once you get past the "Can we afford it?" part (and, at 5.25% 30-year, fixed rate, we can afford it), the next question is, "Who needs this much space?"

The first answer to that is: No one "needs" this much space. That's obvious. Entire villages live in less space in other parts of the world. You'll never hear me say, "We needed a house this big." That's nonsense.

Beyond that, though, can we use this much space? And the answer is yes. There are three rooms that get very little use right now - the guest bedroom, which we will use, even if not regularly; the dining room, which probably will never get much use, but it is a decorative focal point of the house; and the media room, which will wind up being my favorite room in the house once I equip it. The other "new" rooms all get used: I use my home office daily, Robynne uses her hobby room every day, and the kids are in their play room whenever they're home.

A larger house is, in our experience, easier to keep clean. Our old house was constantly cluttered with toys, decorative items, clothing, etc. The new place is much less so.

We're not on top of each other any longer. When we're all four home now, everyone's got a bit of space and the stress level is accordingly lower.

I think we're happier since we've moved. Part of it is the list above. Part of it is the good feeling I get coming home to a nice place that I enjoy being in and am proud to own.

Looking back over this post, I get the feeling that I'm coming across as justifying our decision. I'm not, because I don't know why I'd have to. I know there are lots of people out there who say "McMansion" with derision, but I don't really understand why that is. If the argument is, "You don't need that much," then I counter with, "What do you really NEED?" Beyond a studio apartment, two changes of clothes, and a bicycle, do you really NEED anything? If the rest is WANT, rather than NEED, why are my wants any less worthy than anyone else's?

I guess this point is really what got me going regarding the WP article. While the article itself makes no outward judgments, it's perspective is, to me, pretty much aimed at getting a response. It's not news so much as it's holding a perspective up for judgment.

Well, that's the Post for you, I guess. No doubt it will be picked up by the NYT as well.

No comments: