Sunday, November 06, 2005

Send yourself an email 20 years from now

I just sent myself an email that will be delivered 10 years from today. I could have chosen 20 years from now, but that is just too far away.

Forbes.com is providing a free email time-capsule service. You can write your future self a note through the end of November.

You can select the email address you want the message delivered to. I think it makes sense to use a Web-based email account from one of the big boys - Gmail, Yahoo, MSN, etc, to give yourself the best odds of the provider still being there.

Type your message, choose when it's to be delivered to you, go through a couple of verification steps, and you're done.

Forbes seems pretty serious about making it work. I just think it'll be a hoot - I made sure I described the current family situation, the current political climate, the type of hardware and connection I'm using, a bit about what I'm doing at this exact moment, etc.

We'll see, in 10 years or so.

No comments: