Wednesday, September 06, 2006

First big college football weekend of the year

Oh dear, I know I'm early this week, but our upcoming college football weekend is a biggie. It's early, and there are still some terrible games on the schedule (Nicholls State @ Nebraska or Eastern Washington @ West Virginia, anyone?), but there are a couple of seriously juicy matchups as well.

With no further hubbub:

At 3:00 Central on NBC, we have Penn State at Notre Dame. My feelings on Joe Paterno have been documented previously, but, for the record, let me reiterate: OVER RATED. Would someone please tap him on the shoulder and say something like, "Dude, please let someone less than 100 years old take over"? What has he done in the last 10 years? The man needs to be living in south Florida, wearing plaid slacks pulled up to his nipples, driving a silver Cadillac, and eating dinner at 4:30 in the afternoon, not coaching D-1 football.

On the other hand, the Irish are on the way back. I'm not normally a big Notre Dame backer, but I like them big in this one.

Later on (8:00 Central, to be exact) there's Ohio State at Texas. This is the biggest game played in Austin in at least 25 years. Maybe ever.

Last year's game in Columbus was a where I (and most of the nation) started putting the terms "National Championship" and "Texas Longhorns" together. I'll admit I didn't believe it at the time, but it's where I first thought it was possible.

This year's game is so tough to call. Vince Young was SO important to last year's team, it's difficult to say how much is left without him. There's no question in my mind that last year had more to do with Vince than it did with anyone else, Mack Brown especially. And now, with Tarrell Brown picking the worst possible time to thug out, and young Colt McCoy feeling like Superman because he whupped up on feeble little North Texas, here comes the #1 team in the land. Oh dear.

The TiVo is getting a workout this weekend. Bring it on!

No comments: