Wednesday, September 27, 2006

TO tries to top himself

Cowboys receiver and lightning rod Terrell Owens apparently attempted to kill himself last night, taking an overdose of pain killers. The story is still awfully confused, though no doubt it will get sorted in coming days.

I’ve taken my share of shots at Owens, and his brush with self-inflicted death does make me stop and reconsider a bit. On one hand, the guy is obviously not right, and needs help. On the other hand, he does seem to go out of his way to court controversy, and by doing so, pretty much ensures someone, somewhere is going to take some shots at him.

Regardless, I am saddened to see the predicted TO Meltdown occur, unfortunately in a way no one could have foreseen. I sincerely hope those around Owens, and Owens himself, don’t try to spin this as a “no big deal, he’ll play on Sunday” kind of thing. Unless this was the sickest of all possible publicity stunts, and I don’t think it was, Owens needs help. Football should be the furthest thing from his mind.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if the business of football will let him go that easily.

UPDATE 9/27/06 17:16: Or not. I think I'm believing TO here. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the Dallas police screwed up something big-time.

No comments: