Monday, August 18, 2008

College presidents want to lower the drinking age


A quorum of college presidents, representing some of the best-know and most-prestigious schools in the land, are urging the Feds to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18.

My first reaction was along the lines of "Are they frickin' crazy?", but then I realized that I was doing the 40-something, father-of-two knee-jerk. Upon about 10 seconds of further reflection, I completely changed my tune.

Making this booze, and drugs, more available will, I think, actually lower demand. It will certainly lower the illegal nonsense currently involved in obtaining said booze and drugs. Many underage drinkers will enjoy way too many drinks in out-of-the-way, uncontrolled environments. I will tell you that no one gets as drunk in a bar as they do in a dorm room. Trust me on this one.

I also have to say that, while I suspect things have changed, the legal drinking age did not slow me down one bit back in the day. It didn't matter if the legal age was 19, 20, or 21. Let me repeat: It did not slow me down one bit. It didn't slow my friends down one bit. If you wanted to get hammered, you did. Booze was the easiest thing to get your hands on - easier, but not much easier, than weed or anything else.

It's all right there when you're in college. Get it out of the dorms and into establishments a little better suited to managing intake and you will see a decrease in suicidal binge drinking.

No comments: