Wednesday, November 07, 2007

My latest pet peeve

Those spiffy, automatic, touchless towel dispensers in men's rooms are a beating.

Oh sure, the idea is great. The less you have to touch in a men's room, the better. I'm all for that.

But, the execution...

I feel like an absolute moron, standing there with dripping hands and face (yep, I'm one of those guys who always splashes water on his face when washing his hands - no idea why), doing my version of the Thai hand-dance in front of the sensor on the towel dispenser. And what does said towel dispenser do in response? NOTHING. No towel. And then, when I'm ready to give up because the water has run down my sleeves and dripped all of the front of my shirt, I make one final gesture at the machine. And here comes the towel.

Oh, and the towel that finally gets dispensed? What am I supposed to dry with 4 square centimeters of paper anyway?

I have yet to figure out rhyme or reason to these things. What gesture will reliably work (I mean besides ripping the thing off the wall and smashing it to pieces on the floor)? Any suggestions?

No comments: