Monday, November 12, 2007

Dark Side? What Dark Side?

It's difficult for me to believe that, one year ago, I was wishing nothing but doom and failure on the Dallas Cowboys.

I was tired of the Pear-Shaped Football Genius. Tired of Bondo-Face. Tired of TO Owens. Shocked, amazed, and a bit gleeful that unknown Tony Romo had replaced grizzled, crafty, veteran, and statue-like Drew Bledsoe in the backfield. It looked like the slow circle of the drain had accelerated, and the Cowboys were headed for NFL oblivion.

And I was jiggling the handle, trying to coax the team down past the trap and into the sewer system, laughing maniacally.

Remember that? I sure do.

Yesterday, as the Cowboys imposed their will on the wilting NY Giants, I found myself actively, even enthusiastically cheering for this team. Without a shred of self-consciousness either, I must add.

As an adherent to Junior Miller's Rooting Rules, I, as a Dallas resident since my early childhood, can jump on and off the Cowboy bandwagon as often as I like. And, finally, there are things about this team worth jumping back on the bandwagon for.

So, we find ourselves on Monday morning, clearly atop the NFC East. The offense looks pretty darn good - Romo is clearly the find of the last quarter-century. The defense is not what I think some of the more optimistic amongst us expected - the Giants ran the ball well, until the scoreboard forced them away from it - but it's not the hollow shell it was last year. Special teams may be a bit shaky - the rookie kicker hasn't killed them yet, but the kick coverage has come dang close to it a few times.

Is it lightning in a bottle if it keeps up all year? Can it keep up all year? Is anyone shocked if the Redskins walk into the Rathole-on-114 next week and punch the Cowboys in the nose? Come to think of it, YES, I think we'd all be shocked if the Redskins do anything other than line up to take their ace-whippin' like the docile little playthings of an overgrown brat/owner they are.

All I know is Sundays are fun again. What more do you want?

No comments: