Thursday, April 20, 2006

Burma - Newsweek says, "C'mon. It's not so bad."

From Newsweek's International Edition this week: The other side of the story from Burma. Joe Cochrane spends a bit of time in Rangoon and tells us that all is not so grim in the Golden Land.

I haven't been there myself, so I can't argue the point on my own. However, there are enough really grim stories coming out of Burma, especially from the countryside, that I really wonder what Cochrane's agenda is.

Read the Newsweek article, then read about Doctors Without Borders' experience in Burma, what ASEAN has to say about their neighbor and member, Amnesty International's opinion of the junta's actions against it's own citizens, and comments from Canadian Friends of Burma which could be interpreted as a direct refutation of Cochrane's piece, and let me know what you think.

No comments: