Thursday, February 02, 2006

Sports sanity check

We've become quite tech-heavy lately here at CIT. I don't apologize for it, as tech and work stuff has been top-of-mind a lot recently. However, there is much going on in the world of ssssppppoooorrrrrtttttzzzz, and I wouldn't want to get too far away from it without commenting a bit.

In classic CIT fashion, let's scatter-shoot a bit (while wondering what ever happened to Gabe Kaplan after Kotter got cancelled), shall we?

Your Dallas Stars

Streaking up the Western Conference standings, Tippett and Co. are as hot as any team in the league. Jussi Jokinen is well on his way to being a major star, just on his shootout ability. Quietly, this team is accomplishing some things. It's hard to get really worked up about the regular season in the NHL, but the Stars are worth watching right now.

The little Mavericks

Speaking of red-hot, the Mavericks 10-game winning streak has them tied with the champs at the top of the Western Conference, and not far behind Detroit for tops in the league. The Mavs have options all over the court, real depth, and the desire to play a bit of defense. I wonder about their killer instinct, however. The NBA is the last league to permit dynasties, and teams stay together long enough to develop real personalities. Detroit and San Antonio are clearly the class of their respective conferences. I don't think the Mavs are tough enough to beat Duncan and Co. I question Dirk's grit. This year is as good a time as any to prove me wrong.

Seattle vs. Pittsburgh - The Nation Snores

I've tried hard to work up some interest in Super Bowl XL, but have yet to succeed. There are absolutely zero compelling story lines here for me.

Jerome Bettis goes home - big deal. What's so great about Jerome Bettis? Longevity? He's an OK running back, but nothing spectacular. Cowher? He would have been fired after losing to the Cowboys in the '96 Super Bowl in any other town in the NFL. Even the Sgt Slaughter jokes have worn thin with me.

On the other side of the ball, I'm a little more interested in Seattle, but not much. Holmgren looks more and more like Doc from Snow White every year. Hasselbeck could be John Malkovich's little brother. And I have a suspicion that Shaun Alexander is gay (not that there's anything wrong about that).

To me, there's a bit of interest in the battle of the Samoans (or whatever they are): Polamalu and Tatupu. I'm leaning Lofa's way for two reasons: His dad was one of my favorites on the mid-80s Pats teams of my college days, and I like guys named after bath products (bada-BING). Seriously, why don't opponents yank the sh*t out of Troy Polamalu's hair on every down? I would.

There's the usual interest in the commercials, although I've already tried the Gillette Fusion, so that mystery is over. Maybe Jessica Alba will show up in one or two - probably not, but it's something to hope for.

Even the Stones hold little interest for me. OK, they were great. Top 5 All Time, no argument at all. But they're ANCIENT. Enough already. I hope to God that U2 has more class than to flog their act until they're 60.

The one and only truly motivating factor that is compelling me to watch is ABC's HD setup. It will be bigger and better than anything ever televised. And I am SO happy w/ my HD set that I'll tune in for 5 hours of inanity just to see it crystal-clear perfection.

No comments: