Monday, January 30, 2006

Gillette Fusion Power verdict: Not bad, too pricey

As usual, I did the family grocery shopping yesterday. While I was looking for shampoo for the wife, I saw the new Gillette Fusion Power razor handle and blades on display, along with the "Shopping Card Saving" tag. The new package is an eye-catcher for sure, full of Microsoft Office Orange and shiny, curvy plastic, so I took a closer look. Turns out our friendly neighborhood grocery store had these babies for $5 off for both the handle and the blades. Even with $10 knocked off the price, I still couldn't believe how expensive these things are. But, I'm a sucker for the latest thing, so I picked them up.

So, first shave with the new 5-blade (6 if you include the trimmer blade on the top) wonder is behind me and the verdict is: Not bad at all.

Some impressions: The Power version vibrates like crazy. It seems kind of strange to be manually shaving with a power razor, but I suppose I'll get used to that. The lubricating strip on this thing is MUCH better than the strip on the Mach 3 or Sensor. The shave is very comfortable, there's no razor burn at all, and it is easily the closest shave I've ever gotten. I'm writing this at 5:20 p.m. and I've got some stubble, but it's noticeably less than usual.

I'm still choking on the price of blades, but, if I can find coupons, I may go with it long term. I would not pay full price for either the handle or the blades, but at a discount, I recommend it.

No comments: