Tuesday, February 14, 2006

DRM update: HBO redefines "fair"

From Boing Boing today: HBO has taken a hard line against recording and replay of their shows. The word is that HBO wants to enforce a policy of "Copy Never" upon their subscribers.

I'm sure they're thinking about Comcast's On-Demand service, which allows you to watch HBO shows whenever you want (as long as you're a subscriber). If you asked an HBO lawyer, they'd probably say something like, "Why do you need to record something you can watch on demand already."

In practical terms, I can see their point. For me, personally, On-Demand is good enough. I just don't like the precedent. When do I actually "own" content? When can I watch something I've paid for on any device I want, at any time I want? The line is getting fuzzier, not clearer.

No comments: