Saturday, June 30, 2007

Daily YouTube: A moment I will never forget

Thanks to SeaBass, who took over the reigns for Bob this week, for pulling this one out of the archives.

In the confusing, uncertain, and downright scary days after Sept 11, 2001, we were all stunned, probably a bit numb, and many of us just wanted some way to help. In a move which is surprisingly not well remembered, all of the networks stopped down their nonstop news coverage and carried a telethon featuring musicians from around the world, performing to help raise money to help the victims and the families affected by that blackest of days. The telethon was called A Tribute to Heroes and just about everyone showed up to take part in it. I have no idea how much money they wound up raising, but I'm sure it was a ton. They got some from me, for sure.

At any rate, one of the performances was by U2, who did a mash-up of a "Peace On Earth", "Walk On", and the old church stand-by, "Hallelujah".

I'll tell you what. That performance, more than any other that night, hit me hard. I cried. A lot. All of the emotion, the sadness, the anger, the fear, the whole bit from the preceding days came out.

Here's the performance. It lacks the context of the performances around it, and we're a long way down the road from those awful days. But it still chokes me up.



No comments: