Monday, June 26, 2006

Think your job sucks? It could be worse...


Here's a story from MSNBC today (and Wired magazine like six years ago) about the ship-breaking industry.

Do you ever wonder what happens to old, played out ships? POS (that's "Piece of S***") cargo ships and tankers that are way past their useful lives are broken up and recycled.

Sometimes the breaking is done in the West, in high-tech shipyards with union crews, computer-controlled tools, safety regulations, etc.

But sometimes, especially when the ship is loaded with asbestos insulation, or contaminated engine oil, or mercury, or God-knows-what, its done in India or Bangladesh or some other Third World hellhole. There's no drydock - the ships are just slammed into the beach at high tide. There are no computer controlled tools, just thousands of guys with torches and bare hands. There are no safety regulations, just a dollar or two a day per man and take your chances with sharp edges, incredibly toxic chemicals, and the occasional 200-ton piece of metal falling from 15 stories up.

In a world full of crap jobs in crap conditions, ship-breaking is amongst the worst.

Every so often, it occurs to me just how unbelievably fortunate I am to be living in 21st Century American, born to a successful family, and afforded the opportunity to get an education.

This can turn into a major philosophical-religious discussion, which I wouldn't understand anyway. I just thank the good Lord that I am where I am. And I give what I can to the Red Cross and other charities.

No comments: