Thursday, September 29, 2005

Another dude who makes sense

Another right-on-the-money column from Tom Friedman today, regarding the end-game in Iraq. His basic point - if the Sunnis don't decide to play ball, we may as well arm the Shiites and Kurds and get the heck out.

I can't say that I disagree.

It's hard to figure out what exactly the Sunnis are holding out for. The Shiites and Kurds have offered to basically leave them alone and have promised a portion of the oil revenue. Do they want to run the show again?

Note no link to the column itself, as the NYT wants you to cough up $50 a year to join "TimesSelect" and have the privellage of reading their esteemed columnists. I guess I can't blame them - they've got to turn a profit. But, it still ticks me off. Hell, I resented the fact that I have to give them a ton of personal info just to register for the free site.

Well, sorry, NYT. There is NO WAY I am parting with $50 to have the privellage of reading frothing lunatics like Maureen Dowd and Paul Krugman. Granted, some of Krugman's stuff is funnier than a "Seinfeld" rerun, but it's not worth that kind of dough to me. Not when there's all kinds of quality reporting available for free.

No comments: