Monday, November 28, 2005

Airport blogging

I’m starting a new project in the Emerald City of Seattle this week. I’ll be commuting via American Airlines, trying to retain my Platinum status before the year is over.

Right now, I’m sitting at gate A20 at DFW, watching the post-Thanksgiving rush and wondering when my flight is actually going to leave. It was supposed to go at 8:25 p.m. We’re working on 9:10 right now. Maybe we’ll make it. I’m an optimist.

I’ve been home for some time lately – since before I started this blog, in fact. Two solid months at home is a luxury I haven’t had in some time; traveling is more the rule than the exception. The time at home has put some perspective on this constant business travel thing, though. It’s been fantastic to hang out with the kids on a regular basis. I’ve come to realize that I have two really great kids.

My daughter, Aly, is seven, almost eight. She’s the kindest kid I’ve ever seen. She’s so careful to make sure that the kids (and adults) around her are part of things and that no one is excluded. It’s wonderful to see that.

Drew, my son, is five, and he’s so much fun to be around. He’s been through a lot in his life to-date – lots of health problems caused by a metabolic disorder that will impact him for his whole life (a subject for another, longer post one of these days) – but you’d never know it. He has his ups and downs like any kid, but, most of the time, he’s a happy, funny kid who loves to make people laugh, loves music, loves to play, and loves to be around people.

I haven’t even got on the plane yet, and I miss them both fiercely.

Robynne, my wife of almost 14 years, can be a handful, like any intelligent and independent woman can be. However, on the whole, I think we have a healthier relationship than most of the married couples I’ve encountered. Putting up with me is no day at the beach, but she does that and a lot more. It took me a long time to fully appreciate how great we are together. I try to never take for granted how fortunate I am to have her for my wife.

It’s only a week, and there are so many people getting shipped off to Iraq and Afghanistan for much much longer, so I’m not feeling sorry for myself. It’s just a little more difficult than it has been in the past, since I’ve been with them so much recently.

Just got the double whammy of another delay (now 9:20) and a gate change, so I’d better get going. The next post will be more upbeat, I promise.

No comments: