Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Why the Cowboys will suck again this year


It gives me GREAT pleasure to write this post.

The Cowboys (I am going to have to come up with a good, degrading nickname for them, as I am wishing nothing but failure on them this year) will be no better than last year for one, indisputable reason: Their OL is still terrible.

Drew Bledsoe, the Cowboys' ONLY option at QB, is at his worst when he's running for his life. He will fumble, throw INTs, and take bone-crushing sacks all day long if his protection is below average. And the Cowboys have NOTHING behind Bledsoe.

Last year, Bledsoe took 49 sacks, including a record 25 in the final five weeks of the season. Anyone wonder why the Cowboys finished 2-4 in their final 6 games? Look no further than the sack numbers.

The remarkable part was that Bledsoe remained upright and coherent through the entire season. I wouldn't want to bet that will happen again.

And yet, the Cowboys are doing exactly that. They added two O linemen this offseason, one a starter (Kosier) and one a backup (Fabini). And they let Larry Allen (according to Madden, the greatest OL in the history of the game) go.

Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me. According to our pal Bob, who's out there in Oxnard watching practice, it isn't:
They did get Kosier and Fabini, and we must hope that those two and the
return of Adams make all the difference in the world. But I will tell you,
practice indicates that this is still a major weakness.

Maybe Flozell Adams is the world's greatest offensive lineman, and his return will change everything. I sorta doubt it, but what do I know? Esp in comparison to the Pear-Shaped Football Genius.

And I haven't even mentioned the Cowboys' atrocious running game from last year. Think that's getting any better behind this line?

The big splash this offseason was adding T.O. (henceforth to be known in this blog as The Incredible Me). Got news for you, kiddies. If Bledsoe is in mortal danger every time he drops back, I don't care if your receiving corps includes Rice, Hayes, Irvin, Largent, and the The Amazing Stick-Um Guy. No one is catching much.

Good luck, Cowboys' fans. I think it's gonna be a long, long season for you.

And Mr. Bledsoe, I hope all your insurance is paid up. God bless you, sir. I am praying for you.

No comments: