Friday, August 04, 2006

TX DOT needs an a**-kicking

Last night, I drove the fam down from lovely, crime-free Frisco to San Antonio for a weekend of splashy fun at SeaWorld. We did an outstanding job of getting everyone organized and out of the house by about 7:00 p.m. and I anticipated a largely traffic-free, five hour run down I-35 to the Alamo City.

My theory held all the way to Austin. For 200+ miles, I averaged a nice, steady 75 mph or so, encountered very little traffic, and was basically feeling pretty good about things.

For reasons that are unclear to me, TX DOT closed the two right lanes on I-35 (three lanes wide at that point, btw) just north of the TX 290 interchange. While that in itself would probably have been enough to jam traffic but good, TX DOT was not satisfied with a mere jam. They wanted to full-on colossal balls-up. So, they left all of the on-ramps open, including those in the stretch of lane closure.

The resulting snarl was absolutely legendary. It took us an hour and fifteen minutes (and, I'm guessing, $15 in gas) to cover 4 miles.

We rolled into SA around 0200 this morning. I was PSYCHED!

Thanks, TX DOT. You guys rule! I'm gonna ask you guys to plan my next social event. I'll probably ask you to be guest speakers at the next PMI "How Not to Manage a Project" symposium.

Thank goodness I'm not bitter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That should learn ya fer trying to leave Frisco! Speaking of Frisco, ever been stuck in a doozie on the Bay Bridge? That will make you scrape the enamel off yer teeth to make a dagger to stab yer fuckin' eyes out (literally). That's why I like my commute to work so much. It takes me 15 minutes and all I worry about it hittin a deer or turkey. Ah, country livin at its finest.