Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Revised opinion: The Great Michael Irvin

For the most part, while I’m traveling, I’m not too terribly interested in conversing with my fellow travelers. I’m generally into the book or the mp3 player, perhaps the on-board movie, whatever. Anything but chit-chat.

There are exceptions, however. The most rare of exceptions is the famous person. Travel, especially when you reach upper status in the frequent flyer program and get the occasional upgrade to first class, brings you into contact w/ some people you might not normally get to hang out with. I recently had this happen to me, as I got to spend some quality time with former Dallas Cowboy Mike Irvin.

In days of yore, when Jimmy coached the team and they won back-to-back championships, I was as big a fan of Irvin as there was. I loved that he was never the biggest, fastest, or most gifted player on the field, but was often the most effective. He excelled through God-given talent (of course), but also, and maybe moreso, through an outrageous work ethic and a competitiveness and force of will the likes of which you see only in the very, very best in any field. Irvin was one of the unquestioned emotional leaders of those Cowboy teams, maybe the most important and effective motivator in the organization, and often, I think, the difference between a good team and a great one. What others saw as arrogance I often took for competitiveness and genuine joy.

All this made it that much tougher for me when Mike found himself in all sorts of trouble late in his career. The trouble ranged from women to drugs, and generated additional seedy, if ultimately untrue, accusations. I don’t expect athletes to be angels – I’ve been around too many of them and have seen how they are treated by society as a whole, and realize very few people could avoid the temptations they are presented with. However, I do have a tough time supporting and cheering for felons.

Mike, unfortunately, became the poster-boy for my disillusionment with professional athletes.

Well, I’ve changed my tune on Mr. Irvin. He may have been doing the false humility bit with me, but, if so, it was a convincing act. I set out not to whip his ass and did no more than nod to him when he sat down next to me. It didn’t take long, though, for him to engage me in conversation – he’s one of those guys who will talk to a tree stump. Throughout the conversation, he was funny, laughed at my jokes, seemed to be honest and open, was interested in my opinions (granted we were talking about his topics, but still), and, more than anything, just wanted to talk.

A couple of high points of the convo:

Part of his self-described mid-life-crisis is the need to make his own travel arrangements. It turns out he’s terrible at it and keeps winding up in crappy hotels while his TV partners are staying across the street in the lap of luxury. Pretty funny.

He thinks TO is a very different dude (which I took to mean Mike thinks TO is basically nuts), but likes the guy and encourages us to give him a chance (I told him we’d have to agree to disagree on that one).

He REALLY wants to get into the Hall of Fame. I mean REALLY wants to.

He understands why he isn’t there yet, and doesn’t blame anyone other than himself for it.

He’s VERY protective of his image now, and tends to over-explain himself so there’s no doubt in the listener’s mind that Mike is up to only good stuff now.

Overall, it was a really great experience for me. I enjoyed talking to him, appreciated that he was willing to talk (and talk and talk), and enjoyed his insights.

So, anyway, count me as a fan of Mike from here on out.

No comments: