Saturday, March 18, 2006

'Boys are going to sign TO, and I am back on the Dark Side

According to the DMN, Sturm, Gramps, ESPN, and God-knows-who-else, it's all but done: Terrell Owens is going to be a Cowboy.

For a brief moment there, I was a Cowboys' fan again. It was a tough year to be a fan, but I hung in there with them, cheered the success, and contemplated suicide when they failed, just like I used to.

Well, no more. This move puts a stake in my fandom.

I will freely admit that TO is as talented a receiver as there is in the NFL today, and that he arguably has the skills to put him up there with the tops all-time. He works his ass off, plays through pain, and I'm sure he has other redeeming qualities - hell, maybe he likes dogs.

But none of those redeeming qualities make up for his intense sorriness as a human. He has destroyed the chemistry of two teams in his relatively brief NFL career. San Francisco was on the verge of getting it together when he called Jeff Garcia gay, and Philadelphia had just come off an NFC Championship when he decided it would be a good idea to say, on national TV, the team would be better off with Brett Farve.

I'm sure Jerry thinks TO will behave himself here. And if he doesn't, Parcells can handle him. Maybe so, but do you really think Parcells is going to be around for the duration of TO's 3-year deal?

Well, you reap what you sow, Jerry. This has the potential to destroy Dallas' hopes for the next 10 years. You've lost me, big boy. I'm back on the Dark Side, cheering your failures and wishing more upon you.

I bet I'm not lonely at all over here come about October.

UPDATE: It's done. I'm weeping and rejoicing at the same time. Greg Williams called TO a "human flamethrower", which is the best description I've heard so far.

Oh, ye poor mis-guided Cowboy fans, I despair for you. There is room over here on the Dark Side for all of you.

No comments: