Thursday, May 25, 2006

Oh puh-leeez: Lay and Skilling "shocked" at verdict


A minor miracle occurred in a Houston courtroom today, as former Enron Chief Executive Weasel Ken Lay and Chief Operating Weasel Jeff Skilling were found guilty of a boatload of charges each.

I say "minor miracle" simply because neither has actually set foot in a jail yet. Once that happens, I'll upgrade it to "junior miracle". This only gets "true miracle" status if one or both get Otto the Nazi Bonecrusher or Killa-Freak from the Crips as a cellmate.

Needless to say, Lay and Skilling both expressed "shock" and "disappointment" at the verdicts. I bet they were shocked. They both spent God-knows-how-much dough on the best legal team that would prostitute itself for them. I'm sure they expected to walk with a formal apology from the court.

Regardless, the "No Fraud Here" defense didn't work, which shocks the crap out of me. It sorta restores my faith in my fellow Americans and the system in general that the zillion-dollar lawyers were unable to confuse the jury into paralysis.

On the other hand, both of these guys are CROOKS. Of the highest order. Without parallel in the annals of Corporate America, really. And think about that statement for a moment. John D. Rockefeller. Richard Scrushy. Bernie Ebbers. Leland Stanford. Cornelius Vanderbilt. JP Morgan. I mean, this is heady competition. And I stand behind my statement. Lay and Skilling were more crooked than any of them.

We'll see how long the appeals take, and how long these two weasels end up in the clink. Regardless, a victory for truth, justice, and the American Way today.

Well, truth and justice, at least.

No comments: