Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The joys of pop culture #1 - "Lost" season finale

We find ourselves in a bit of a pop-culture quandary tonight: Do we tune in for the 2-hour blockbuster season finale of "Lost", or do we continue our basketball fever with Mavs-Suns Game 1?

I thought DVRs were supposed to solve this problem. Oh, wait, DUAL-CHANNEL DVRs do solve this. So why can't I get one from Comcast?

I hate Comcast. I have a draft post called "Comcast - Worst. Company. Ever." which I will finish and publish one of these days.

But I digress.

The choice here at the CIT Compound will be "Lost". I have WAY too much invested in that show to bail for Game 1 of anything. If it were Game 7, this might be tougher, but since it's not, decision made.

There are two great articles on MSNBC today regarding "Lost" - Top 10 things we need to have answered (or at least moved forward) in tonight's episode, and Best and Worst of "Lost". Both are great reading for addicts like me.

Some of the things I definitely want to see tonight:

A return to prominence for Sayid. The haunted Iraqi is my hands-down favorite character. He's got one heck of a dark side, but I firmly believe him to be one of the sure-fire good guys (Jack, Jin, and Hurley are the others, Michael was on the list until very recently). And, to paraphrase Sawyer, if there's going to be some violence (and it sure looks like it), Sayid is the one guy who's got some hands-on experience in that department. I'd sure want him on my side.

Some resolution of the Locke-Eko relationship. If Locke returns to his spiritual self, he and the giant fake priest would make one heck of a team. Or one heck of a set of adversaries. I'd be happy either way. Let's get on with it.

Let's see Desmond again. The guy started as a cipher and only got more mysterious during his brief run at the start of Season 2. Word is tonight's episode features him prominently, so we should know more very soon. If nothing else, I love the dude's accent.

And, finally, something needs to happen with Kate. She was a major player up until about a third of the way thru this season, but lately hasn't contributed anything. She should either step up and do something, or get killed off.

Don't bother calling between 8:00 and 10:00 Central tonight. I won't be answering the phone, the door, or the call of nature for the duration.

No comments: