Friday, November 13, 2009

New radio in Dallas, finally

Better late than never - earlier this week, new public radio station KXT (91.7 on your FM dial) signed on with Santana's "She's Not There". Interesting choice for a first song, but that's not what this post is about.

KXT is public music radio, affiliated with NPR and venerable KERA. It's billed as local, alternative, something completely different from the formula radio rampant on the FM dial in town.

If you have not checked it out yet, you ought to. Lots of local bands (a scene I am just beginning to immerse myself in), which means lots of alt-country, roots rock, Americana, whatever you want to call it. You'll hear some more recognizable stuff as well, but you'll likely get a snoot-full of King Bucks and Old 97s. Which is a good thing, by the way.

In the day of the iPod and Pandora Radio, when XM and Sirius have to join forces to barely survive, you have to ask why we need another terrestrial station at all, much less one aimed at a niche audience (at best) in a town of herd-followers.

I don't know if KXT is going to make it or not. I will tell you I have turned into a P-2 (still a Ticket P-1), and like what I hear. It doesn't sound like anything else on the dial, not even close.

I haven't been this excited about a radio station since the halcyon days of WBCN in Boston!

No comments: