Sunday, July 08, 2007

Project Management on the East Coast vs the West Coast

I am a Project Manager, so I'm up on all the latest buzzwords. However, I've found that the meaning of buzzwords differs from area to area. Case in point (and apologies for the language):

East Coast term
West Coast equivalent term

absolutely not
maybe

yes
maybe

action item by Feb 12 for Joe
Joe's working on the problem

bozo
subcontractor

brawl
design review

dictator
facilitator

do it and do it now
can you sign up for this program?

do it right or you're fired
I'm confident you'll get it done

fuck off
trust me

follow the spec
is there a spec?

get out of my office
let's get consensus on this one

he's a jerk
he's not signed on to our plan

he's a subordinate
he's a team player

I'll cover your ass
consider me your resource

ignore him, he's new
I'm bringing him up to speed

local bar
offsite facility

meet me in the parking lot
let's take that discussion offline

oh shit
thanks for bringing that to my attention

over designed
robust

punch his lights out
constructive confrontation

shut the fuck up
thank you for your input

shut up a minute
let me share this with you

that's totally incompetent
let me build on that point

unemployed
consulting

over budget
on schedule

under budget
we haven't started yet

we finished early
(no translation available)

we're done
how do you feel about that?

what's your problem?
I certainly understand your feelings

where's the spec?
what's a spec?

where's the schedule?
what's the game plan?

your plan sucks
let me share my feelings on this plan

No comments: