Monday, April 13, 2009

Boston University Terriers - 2009 NCAA Men's Hockey National Champs


I should have got to this yesterday, but its still worthwhile.

I'm sure you ALL joined me on Saturday night on ESPN-HD, as my beloved Boston University Terrier hockey team hit the ice against the Miami (OH) RedHawks in the National Championship game. If you were so inclined, you saw one for the ages.

BU held a 1-0 lead for a good chunk of the game. But a series of mistakes late in the 2nd and into the 3rd allowed Miami to grab a seemingly-invincible 3-1 lead. After Miami's third goal at 15:58 in the third period, I actually said, "Well, that's it. Church."

I just needed to have a little faith.

A furious 6-on-5 which started with more than 2 minutes left resulted in two goals, both scored with less than a minute left. I almost knocked the lamp off the side table after the second.

And off we go to OT.

After half a period of overtime, which the Terriers dominated, although the RedHawks got off a few shots which nearly stopped my heart, BU's Colby Cohen launched a wrist shot at the net. It bounced off a Miami player and dropped like a dying quail over the goal-tender's shoulder without him ever seeing it.

I scattered couch cushions all over the place as the BU bench emptied, Miami players sank to the ice in tortured disbelief, and (no doubt) 400 beers and other drinks were raised inside T's Pub on Comm Ave.

What a game! What a win! We may not have football, and most of our other teams may be spare to fair, but hockey is always big-time, and very good, at Boston University.

Yahoo!

No comments: